Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ok Go at Toad's Place, Live!


A few weeks ago, I went to see OK Go at Toad's Place. Needless to say it was flippin fantastic. I think OK Go is way underrated. Everyone knows them for their dance on treadmills and their upbeat pop indie sound. However there's more to them than that. In addition to their eclectic fashion sense, use of handbells and other coordinated dances, their lyrics are tight, witty, and maybe a little too smart for the average joe.

On stage, front man Damian Kulash exudes a flirtatious vibe--the guy every girl wants and every guy wants to be with lead vocals and guitar. Tim Nordwind plays those sweet bass lines and sings back up. He is, for obvious reasons, my personal favorite. I can't help but feel bad for Andy Ross. He seems to hide behind the spot light, but offers the most (I think) musical talent holding down guitar

and keys, in addition to any other random instrument the song calls for. And last but certainly not least, Dan Konopka droppin' beats on drums. OK Go couldn't be the same without him, haha. They played a bunch of their old favorites from Oh No and Ok Go, in addition to a few new tunes to be expected out on their latest album in the near future.

One of the opening bands has become my new favorite. Oppenheimer came straight from Belfast, Ireland. This two man band uses everything they got to give an awesome, loud performance. They certainly know how to entertain a crowd, especially with their airhorn solos and infectious electronica beats. Their music is influenced by artists like My Bloody Valentine, Dr. Robert Moog, and Stereolab. Rocky O'Reilly plays the keys, percussion, guitar, and mac (all in one song

too) while Shaun Robinson handles the drums and vocals during a live set and joins Rocky on keys and guitar in the studio. My friends and I got to talk to Rocky after the show. They had full blown Irish accents and were really nice guys (I love accents). They'll be returning to Toad's Place in April. Hopefully I'll be able to check that out.


After Oppenheimer, Longwave drowned the crowd with a loud wave of guitar goodness. However, not only did they drown the audience, but the vocals as well. Couldn't hear a thing they were singing. Their sound reminded me of Mutemath, so I was instantly intrigued enough to find their myspace. They could have been so much better live if you could hear the singer. At least Ned was entertaining :) (inside joke, don't worry about it.)
All in all, great experience. I will definitely go to see OK Go in concert next time they come around.


check out their sites:
OK Go
Oppenheimer
Longwave

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really appreciate all the comments you lovelies leave for me. I read each and every one of them and every time I get a new comment it really makes my day <3 Thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...